Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Starting up again


Due to family issues we haven't been able to do much for the last three weeks. Had a week long visit from my parents on their way to the New Brunswick, and my sister (who was living with us for longer than she wanted to) moved out to her new apartment here in Ottawa. Between moving, entertaining and trying to do real work there was no time left over for boat work.

Since I last posted I tried spraying the boat in my garage in a jerry-rigged spray "area" (I'm not going to dignify this effort by calling it a booth). I learned a lot about spraying paint, although not that much learned was good. The results had too much orange peel and the overspray and paint fog was miserable. I could thin the paint more, increase spray pressure, install a air movement system and buy a decent respirator, but the expense/effort of creating an environment for success is too high.

I'm going to wetsand the boat back flat and find me an auto body shop where I can either use the booth for a couple coats of paint or have them spray the boat for me. My quality expectations are too high for what I can do in the garage. My first (not quite honest) thought was to paint the boat in a booth but not tell - so people would think my garage capable of high quality work.

All the paint work done to date will be counted as primer.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain Bill, paint can be a real PITA. And time constraints are annoying as well. If only there were 30 hours in a day and part time jobs could pay the bills, theres no telling how many boats would actually get built.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete