Monday, May 3, 2010

Chemical warfare

Thomas is quite excited about his power boating license, and has been pushing to adapt the Nano to use our 2 horsepower outboard.  Because of this we took a ride this weekend to collect the motor from out friend Franck - who has provided a home away from home for the little Evinrude.

Thomas, Roz (our 100 pound Husky mix) and I drove out to rural Quebec to Franck's place and picked up the motor.  Not five minutes into the ride back, Thomas started to complain about the gasoline smell.  I said "Welcome to power boating!", and told him to get used to the smell.  I'd made sure the petcock, air vent and gas cap were closed before the drive, but the smell of outboards can't be avoided, especially in a van like our Toyota Sienna.

Although I don't want to dissuade Thomas from boating in any form, I'd sure like it if he learned to appreciate the quiet, speed and fun of sailing on his own instead of buzzing around in a smelly, noisy motor boat.  I'm certain his boat will be  much faster under sail then it would be under a two horsepower outboard.

I'm going to let him figure this out on his own.  Probably will get better results this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment