Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fair is fair


Been working on the outside of the hull for a couple days (actually a couple hours spread over a couple days). Mixing fairing compound and applying it. It's kind of fun sanding on a boat this small, as you see progress relatively quickly. Thomas was sanding with me a lot, we had to get him his own long board and dust mask. He told me we needed dust masks when he smelled the epoxy-based fairing compound, so a trip to Home Depot was necessary.

While at Home Depot, I cornered Pierre (the one guy who actually knows what he is doing) in the store and asked about spraying latex house paint. I'm pretty much convinced that we are going to paint Thomas' boat with exterior latex house paint because I just can't justify using two part poly boat paint on a low cost project. Pierre said he's gotten tremendous results with spraying latex on similar projects, but the trick is figuring out how much water to add to reduce the latex to sprayable thickness. He recommended an el-cheapo $30 spray gun that would happily work on my small compressor. He said the cool thing about spraying latex is the super quick drying times and being able to re-coat in 30 minutes. Lots of thin coats is the best way.

The fill and fairing is going really well - I'm quite happy with the outside surface of the boat. Once I get it where I want it, one more coat of epoxy and then we'll paint it.

No comments:

Post a Comment