Friday, August 28, 2009

What a difference a day makes


By now, you may be aware of the major problem I created for myself damaging the sheer clamp of Thomas' Microskiff. 24 hours later, the crisis is past and the rail now will look almost exactly the same as it did before my self-induced trauma.

I'm actually a little proud of the repair work - no one will notice except readers of this blog since they know where to look. The last part of the repair is in clamps right now, re-attaching the side panel of the boat to the sheer clamp. With a little sanding and shaping the nightmare will disappear.

It should not have happened in the first place and would not have if I had more experience and wasn't rushing to fit a quick fifteen minutes boat work into a normal work day. Power tools require one hell of a lot of caution.

After the last repair stage was clamped, I turned the boat upside down and mixed up a little fairing compound. Started to fill in the panel joins, dings, scratches and screw holes on the bottom of the hull. Once the fairing compound sets, I'll do a first sanding pass on the hull, re-fill the obvious areas and do a allover thin coat of fairing compound on the hull.

Its actually kind of cool being able to pick up and flip over the boat by yourself! The whole boat shell right now weighs maybe 50 pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment